Saturday, June 25, 2011

a little bit classy, a little bit rock and roll

as long as there are fashion runways, magazine spreads, and bright nail polish, there will be cocktail rings.  they're those rings you can see clearly even if you're 1000 feet away from the model.  me, i love unnecessarily large jewelry: i've never shied away from earrings as big as my fist or a necklace that extends down to my belt.  When it comes to rings, though, i steer for the simple, straight and narrow.

i suppose it has to do with the way i've chosen to live my life: as a furniture finisher, a plant cultivator, a seamstress, a bartender, a guitar player, and a jeweler, i can't do my job with a fishbowl of glitter hanging off my knuckle.  and i think i've always concluded that, if you have to take a ring off to do something as simple as washing your hands, you really shouldn't be wearing one.

until now.


sometimes awesomeness outweighs practicality.  and i found a whole grip of awesome during my recent month-long gem show adventure.  it's easy to get distracted while marching up and down aisles of rubies and tanzanite, so i've developed a system for blocking out the things i don't need (it involves bringing friends who tell me i don't need any of it).  but these stones glimmered right through my blinders, and i snatched them up quicker than you could say, "spending ceiling."  watch my etsy site closely: later this summer i'll be launching a line of glittery, iridescent, gigantic (adjustable!!!) cocktail rings.  the prototype above is mine, of course, so you'll just have to be patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment