Thursday, January 12, 2012

On accessorizing.

Repeat after me: a bra is not an accessory.

Maybe it's the fact that time just plunged me into the realm of the 30-something (without my permission--how rude!) or maybe I'm a closet prude, but I'm horrified by the sluttiness of recent trends.  The people behind the velvet fashion rope, who decide what color will be popular this season and how many inches above the knee your skirts should fall, want you to stop wearing your clothing.  My favorite magazine, Lucky (shout out to fellow Oberlin grad Kim France, who founded the shopping and style bible), has even linked itself to the underwear-as-outfit-centerpiece fad:

Please tell me it's not whale tail month

I'm horrified before I open the cover.  In its defense, Lucky must, as its mission states, deliver up-to-date information on what's hot and where to get it.  I can only hope that they realize that this story was a terrible mistake (on par with Gob ditching Marta the first time) and republish it in their December Shit-We-Said-This-Year-That-We-Would-Take-Back-If-We-Could editorial.  Really, Lucky?  Underwear as clothing?  I expect more class from you.

Why is this a fad?  I get the appeal of the slip as a dress a la Courtney Love, as self-aware, irreverent, rocker chick chic; but only when paired with Doc Martins and a leather jacket.  This is different.  This is "how to dress for happy hour drinks with the girls."

No.  Do not do that.

And what awesome guidance do our fashion gurus at Lucky Mag bestow upon us to help us feel less...in our underwear in public?

Oh.  So...to not look slutty, wear sheer over REGULAR CLOTHING.

They use the word 'naked!'  Thanks, Lucky, for making me rethink my subscription extension.  

Opaque wearers of the world, unite!  We wear clothes for two reasons: temperature regulation and old fashioned Puritan shame.  Now I'm not a proponent of shame to its highest degree (breastfeeding in public is awesome) but for your own sake, unless you're on a Jil Sander runway, please keep your undies to yourself.  If you can afford a $215 Rebecca Taylor metallic mesh top and the $77 Zinke bralette (see above) to cover your boobies under it, you most certainly can buy yourself a tank top (camisole?) to wear in between the two.

There's a huge handbag industry out there.  And what about belts?  I love belts.  And boots!  How about some jewelry?  This stuff is sheer, and goes OVER your clothes!




Nothing shameful about this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment